Thursday, September 18, 2014

There's this writer named Stephen King who wrote a book named "On Writing".


There's this writer named Stephen King.  I'm sure many of you have heard of him.  He writes some scary stuff.  Anyway he wrote a book called "On Writing" a while back and I read it.  In the book he advises a writer to finish their first draft and then lock it away in a drawer for a month or more without reading it.  The idea is to distance oneself from the creation of the manuscript, so that once the author pulls it out to begin his rewrites and edits he or she is looking at the work from a fresh perspective.

Recently, mostly because of a busy work schedule, I took a couple weeks off of writing and working on my second book in the Reece Culver series.  While I did do some editing over the month or so before I took a two week break I never sat down and completely read what I'd created.

To tell you the truth I still haven't read it.  So where is this all going you ask?  Last night I had a big breakthrough idea about the plot for SABOTAGE.  It relates to a story idea I came up with a year or so ago and intended to use for the 4th or 5th book in the series.  As of right now I'm taking that book premise and using it to enhance what I've already written for book 2.

Unfortunately I won't be able to tell you if this new "breakthrough" idea was a success for another couple of months.  That's probably how long it will take to finish this next major rewrite draft, but my gut feel and the opinion of someone very close that I shared the basic premise idea with is that I've got something cool going with this book.

Stay tuned for more details on this.  Until my next update be good to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment