Saturday, February 1, 2014

What's new with my pursuit of an agent to represent my novel, Vengeance, you ask?

What's new with my pursuit of an agent to represent my novel, Vengeance, you ask? As of last night I've sent out 10 query letters and received 3 rejections. Now that I have a few rejections under my belt I'm in good company. J.K Rowling's first Harry Potter novel was rejected 12 times. Jack London received 600 rejections before selling his first story. Fellow thriller author John Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill, was rejected by 15 publishers and 30 agents. Stephen King's first novel, Carrie, was rejected 30 times.  More than 350 million copies of his novels are now in print.

So what's an author to do while being rejected you ask?  The answer is: constantly review and edit one's query letter, synopsis, and first 10 pages. Then once I've worked myself up into a frenzy sit back and work on the next novel.

Along those lines I'm very pleased with the plot I've devised for the book 2 in the Reece Culver series. This one is definitely shaping up to be a techno thriller drawing from my 20+ years of work in the field of engineering. Perhaps book 3 will draw upon the 5 years I've been in finance. You know they say write what you know. Now if I can only gain the interest of a solid literary agent I'll be on my way to getting published so all of you can get some enjoyment out of my blood, sweat, and tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment